Yield: 24 Servings
|1¼ cup||Quick-cooking oats|
|1 cup||All-purpose flour plus|
|3 tablespoons||All-purpose flour|
|1 cup||Dark brown sugar; packed|
|⅔ cup||Butter or margarine|
|¾ cup||Walnuts; chopped|
|1||Jar (12-oz) caramel ice cream topping|
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan with foil. Lightly grease foil.
2. Mix oats, 1 cup flour and the sugar in a large bowl. Add butter and cut in with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Press about half the mixture evenly over bottom of prepared pan to cover.
4. Bake 10 minutes or until top looks dry and tiny cracks appear.
5. Sprinkle with walnuts.
6. Stir caramel topping and remaining 3 tablespoons flour in a medium-size bowl until blended. Pour over nuts. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes more until edges bubble slightly. Cool in pan on wire rack. Then, to make cutting easier, refrigerate 1 hour or until cold.
8. Lift foil by ends onto cutting board. Cut in bars. Makes 24 bars, 196 calories per bar.
WOMAN'S DAY, 5/1/1990
From a collection of my mother's (Judy Hosey) recipe box which contained lots of her favorite recipes, clippings, etc. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .