Yield: 8 Servings
|\N \N||Filling mixture|
|1 teaspoon||Soy sauce|
1. Prepare either of the filling mixtures "Cucumber Filling #1/#2".
2. Peel cucumbers; then cut crosswise in 2-inch sections. Scoop out seeds from one side only of each section, not clear through.
3. Stuff the center of each section with filling, packing it in tightly and rounding out the edges. Dredge stuffed sectionS lightly with flour.
4. Heat oil. Add cucumber sections, stuffing-side down, and brown lightly.
Turn over and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
5. Add stock, soy sauce and sherry and bring to a boil. Then simmer, covered, until tender (about 20 minutes), turning once or twice for even cooking. Remove cucumbers to a serving platter, leaving liquids in pan.
6. Blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste; then stir in to thicken liquids. Pour sauce over stuffed cucumbers and serve.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .