Yield: 2 servings
|1 pack||Active Dry Yeast|
|¼ cup||Warm Water|
|1 cup||Seven-Grain Cereal|
|1 cup||Boiling Water|
|4 tablespoons||Butter -- melted|
|3 tablespoons||Brown Sugar|
|5 cups||Unbleached Flour|
Note: Seven-grain cereal is available a many health food stores.
1. In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and let stand. The mixture will become frothy.
2. Place the cereal in a bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Let stand until cool.
3. Meanwhile, heat the milk to 110 F. Stir in the butter, salt and sugar. Pour the mixture over the cereal.
4. Stir to milk mixture into the cooled cereal and then stir both the cereal mixture and the flour into the yeast. Knead well, at least 15 mins. (The longer the knead time the finer the texture of the finished loaves.) Turn out into a greased bowl, rotate dough so all sides are coated and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, (in a warm place) about 1½ hours.
5. Punch down and knead for 5 mins. Cut into portions, shape into loaves and put into greased loaf pans. (Yield will be 2 large loaves or 4 small loaves.) Let dough rise in pans again, covered with oiled plastic wrap, until dough has risen above the pan and is rounded, about 30 to 45 mins.
* Preheat oven to 400 F.
6. Bake std. loves for about 1 hr, smaller loaves for 40 mins, or until browned on top and hollow sounding when thumped.
From the section on the KALAMAZOO COUNTY FAIR of Kalamazoo, Mich. Fair dates: late August, 7 days, Sunday through Saturday.
Recipe By : The County Fair Cookbook - ISBN 0-7868-6014-6 From: Dan Klepach Date: 04-03-95 (159) Fido: Cooking