Yield: 6 servings
|1 cup||Onions -- diced|
|1||Green pepper -- diced|
|1 tablespoon||Salad oil|
|4||Carrots -- diced|
|8 ounces||Tomato sauce|
|½ teaspoon||Ground basil -- or 2 tsp|
|Salt -- to taste|
|1 bunch||Swiss chard -- chopped|
|2 tablespoons||Fresh parsley|
|2 cups||Mashed potatoes|
1. Dice onion, dice pepper, peel and dice carrots, cut the broccoli into flowerets and stems. For Swiss chard or spinach, wash, trim and cut into bite-sized pieces.
2. Saute onion and peppers in oil in a large skillet.
3. Add broccoli, carrots, tomato sauce, bay leaf, basil and salt to taste. Blend thoroughly. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook vegetables until just tender. Will take about 15 minutes.
4. Stir in chard or spinach. Transfer to a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
5. Blend parsley into prepared potatoes; spread over top of vegetables.
6. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika if you wish; it adds color.
Serve hot or warm.
Recipe By : Jo Anne Merrill