Yield: 4 servings
|8 \N||Whole-wheat bread slices|
|¾ cup||Gruyere cheese -- shredded|
|¼ cup||Chopped green onions|
|3 \N||Eggs -- slightly beaten|
|½ teaspoon||Tabasco sauce|
|½ teaspoon||Ground basil -- * see note|
|2 \N||Tomatoes -- sliced|
* Use 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil if preferred. Substitute Swiss cheese for Gruyere if preferred.
1. Use a 9 x 9-inch pan or baking dish. Grease the pan with margarine.
Place 4 slices of the bread in the bottom of pan. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the cheese and the green onions. Top with remaining bread slices.
2. Combine eggs, milk, mayonnaise, Tabasco, basil and salt in small bowl; mix well. Pour the egg mixture over the bread; press so bread is covered with the liquid.
3. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or longer.
4. Uncover and top with thin slices of tomatoes and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven 30-35 minutes. It is done when a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
Recipe By : Jo Anne Merrill