Yield: 4 servings
|1 cup||Chicken broth|
|⅓ cup||Cotiscous (precooked semolina)|
|1 \N||16oz container lump crabmeat|
|\N \N||Salad oil|
|1 small||Onion, minced|
|2 tablespoons||White wine|
|1 tablespoon||Chopped parsley|
|½ pounds||Mixed baby greens or mixed salad greens|
|2 teaspoons||White wine vinegar|
ABOUT 1 HOUR BEFORE SERVING:
1. In 1-quart saucepan over high heat, heat chicken broth to boiling.
Stir in couscous; cover and remove saucepan from heat. Let couscous stand 5 minutes. Remove cover; let couscous cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, cut unpeeted cucumber lengthwise in half; with spoon, scoop out seeds. Dice cucumber. Seed and dice tomato. In medium bowl, combine couscous with cucumber and tomato.
3. Pick over crabmeat to remove any pieces of shell or cartilage.
Place crabmeat in another bowl. In small skillet over medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon hot salad oil, cook onion until tender and very lightly browned; stir in white wine. Gently stir onion mixture, mayonnaise, chopped parsley, pepper, and V,teaspoon salt into crabmeat in bowl.
4. Assemble salad: With can opener, remove both ends from an empty food can that is about 3 inches in diameter and at least 3 inches tall to make a hollow cylinder. (If you don't have an empty can, remove contents from a full one and save for use another day.) Wash and dry cylinder.
5. Cut avocado in half, discard seed. Remove peel from avocado halves; cut each half crosswise into thin slices. Place can cylinder in center of a dinner plate; spoon one-fourth of couscous mixture into cylinder; gently press with back of spoon. Top couscous with one-fourth of avocado slices, then one-fourth of crab mixture, pressing with back of spoon after each layer. While holding layers down with back of spoon, lift cylinder off layered salad. Repeat with remaining couscous mixture, avocado slices, and crab salad on 3 more dinner plates.
6. Place mixed baby greens in lg bowl; toss with white wine vinegar, 1 T salad oil, and ¼ t salt. Arrange greens around crab salad.
Each serving: About 440 calories, 23 9 fat, I1 8 mg cholesterol, 965 mg sodium.
Good Housekeeping/July'94/scanned & fixed by DP & GG