Yield: 6 servings
|1 each||Zest (peel) of 1 orange|
|1 x||Juice of 1 orange|
|1 x||Water to add to orange|
|1 each||Raw carrot|
|1 x||Juice to make 1.5 c|
|1 x||1 or 2 T Raisins|
|1 x||2 or 3 T Almonds (any form|
|1 x||Blanched almonds, whole,|
|1 x||Slivered, halved, etc.)|
|3 tablespoons||Butter or oil|
1. Remove zest (thinnest part of skin--orange only, as little white as possible) from orange using swivel-bladed peeler. Trim ragged edges off zest, Slice into long, thin strips. Set aside.
2. Squeeze orange to extract juice; strain; add enough water to make 1½ cups. Set aside.
3. Soak raisins in water to cover, or 1 tbsp. sherry 4. Shred carrot (food processor, hand grater, etc.) Set aside.
5. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter or oil in the pot to be used to cook rice. Put a light under pot. When oil starts bubbling, add almonds, stir-fry briefly till they brown slightly, remove, set aside.
6. Add remaining batter and carrots. Stir-fry carrots for 2-3 minutes; carrots will absorb all the oil in the pot.
7. Add to pot: water/orange juice mixture, sugar, salt, orange peel.
Turn up heat, bring to boil.
8. When mixture boils, add rice; drain carrots, add them.