Yield: 6 servings
|1¼ pounds||Broccoli, trimmed|
|2 mediums||Onions, sliced|
|5 tablespoons||Butter, divided|
|7 cups||Chicken broth, divided|
|1 teaspoon||Dried oregano leaves, crumbled|
|3 tablespoons||Dijon-style mustard|
|2 cups||Shredded sharp cheddar cheese|
1. Cut flowerets off broccoli and divide into small sections.
simmer in lightly salted utter 2 to 3 minutes; drain and set aside.
2. Peel stalks and cut into small pieces; cook with onions in 3 Tbsp butter in large saucepan about 5 minutes.
3. Add 3 cup broth and oregano; simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
4. Process in blender or food processor until smooth.
5. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter in saucepan. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly. Stir in mustard and pepper.
6. Add processed mixture and remaining 4 cup broth; heat to simmering, stirring.
7. Slowly add milk and cheese, stirring constantly.
8. Add broccoli flowerets; heat and serve.