Yield: 4 Servings
|½ teaspoon||Salt (up to)|
|2 tablespoons||Smoked ham|
1. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste; then add to eggs, along with salt. Stir in well.
2. Heat oil to smoking. Add eggs; then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring in one direction, until mixture is smooth, thick and pudding-like.
3. Pour into a serving bowl. Mince smoked ham and sprinkle over as a garnish.
NOTE: Other names for this dish are Imperial Eggs and Flowing Yellow.
1. For the egg yolks, substitute whole eggs.
2. In step 1, add to the egg mixture any or all of the following: a. 1 cup stock
b. 1 to 2 tablespoons sherry
c. ¼ cup bamboo shoots, minced d. ¼ cup water chestnuts, minced e. ¼ cup smoked ham, minced (omit ham garnish) f. 2 dried black mushrooms (soaked), minced g. 2 tablespoons dried shrimp (soaked), minced 3. In step 2, when the egg mixture begins to thicken, stir in ½ cup cooked shrimp, minced.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .