Yield: 6 Servings
|1 cup||Onions; chopped|
|½ cup||Green pepper; diced|
|16 ounces||Canned tomatoes|
|8 ounces||Tomato sauce|
|1⅓ cup||Long-grain rice|
|½ cup||Cheddar cheese; shredded|
1. In skillet over med, fry bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, crumble, and set aside. Pour off all but 2 tbsp drippings.
2. In hot drippings, cook onions and pepper until tender.
3. Drain tomato liquid into measuring cup. Add water to make 1¾ cups.
Cut up tomatoes.
4. To onion mixture, add liquid, tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar and salt.
Heat to boiling.
5. Remove from heat and stir in rice. Pour into greased 1 ½-qt casserole.
Cover and bake at 350F for 35 mins or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
6. Fluff rice with fork. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 more mins.
Garnish with bacon. Per 1 of 6 servings: 269 calories My notes: I made so many changes (2/98) it's hardly the same recipe. I omitted bacon (good) and tomato sauce (okay but not great), added extra water to make up for the sauce, added garlic (minced, in with the onion), and italian seasonings for flavour.
Contributor: "Good Housekeeping Ill. Cookbook" (1989) Posted to recipelu-digest by Cathleen <catht@...> on Feb 16, 1998