Yield: 1 Servings
|3 larges||Green bell peppers|
|1 large||Red bell pepper|
|5||Garlic cloves; peeled|
|½ cup||Small cilantro sprigs|
|1 can||(28-ounce) and 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can plum tomatoes; drained|
|1 tablespoon||Olive oil|
|1||Tablepoon paprika; divided use|
|2¼ teaspoon||Ground cumin; divided use|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|Optional: pinch of cayenne pepper|
|4½ pounds||Chicken pieces; skin removed|
|1 large||Onion; halved and sliced|
|Cilantro sprigs for garnish|
Notes: From Orange County Register 1. Broil green and red bell peppers, turning every 4-5 minutes, until their skins are blistered and charred, a total of about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, broil jalapeno peppers, turning often, about 5 minutes in all. Transfer peppers to a bowl and cover; or put in plastic or paper bag and close bag.
Let stand 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mince garlic in a food processor, add cilantro sprigs, and mince together. Add tomatoes and chop coarsely by pulsing.
3. Peel the jalapeno and bell peppers using a paring knife. (Wear gloves when handling jalapeno peppers if your skin is sensitive. Be careful not to touch eyes or face.) Halve the peppers; discard the seeds and ribs. Cut bell peppers into ½-inch dice. Chop jalapeno peppers. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. In a medium saute pan, warm the olive oil over low heat. Add 1½ teaspoons of the paprika and ¾ teaspoon of the cumin and mix well. Stir in tomato-garlic mixture, jalapeno and bell peppers and salt and pepper.
Bring sauce to a simmer. Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Taste and adjust the seasoning; add cayenne pepper if desired.
5. Put chicken pieces in shallow roasting pan large enough to hold them in 1 layer. Season them on both sides with salt, pepper, remaining 1 ½ teaspoons cumin, and remaining 1 ½ teaspoons paprika. Rub spices into chicken pieces. Top chicken with sliced onion.
6. Cover chicken with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, turn pieces over, and bake 20 minutes. Add one-third cup hot water to pan juices. Spoon pepper sauce over the chicken. Bake, uncovered, basting once or twice, about 15-25 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear when thickest part of a thigh piece is pierced with sharp knife. Serve chicken with sauce; garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional information (per serving): 414 calories, 10.7 grams fat, 2.3 grams saturated fat, 61 milligrams cholesterol, 623 milligrams sodium, 23 percent calories from fat
Source: "The Low-Fat Jewish Cookbook" Posted to recipelu-digest by ncanty@... (Nadia I Canty) on Mar 28, 1998