Yield: 6 servings
|1 pack||Yeast, dry active|
|1 cup||Flour, pastry, whole wheat|
|1½ cup||Flour, white, unbleached|
|½ cup||Olive oil|
|4 smalls||Eggplant, Japanese; thinly sliced lengthwise|
|2 mediums||Zucchini; thinly sliced lengthwise|
|½ pounds||Mushrooms; thinly sliced|
|\N \N||Thin rounds of onion|
|1 teaspoon||Garlic; crushed|
|1 cup||Hot water (120 deg F +)|
|3 tablespoons||Olive oil|
|\N \N||Ground rock salt to taste|
|1 teaspoon||Corn meal|
|1 cup||Tomatoes, sun-dried|
|2 larges||Tomatoes; thinly sliced|
|½ cup||Olives, Greek; chopped|
|¼ cup||Basil, fresh; chopped OR|
|1 teaspoon||Basil, dried|
|¼ teaspoon||Oregano (optional)|
1. In a large bowl, combine yeast and half a cup of each of the flours. Stir in hot water and olive oil.
Stir in additional half cup of each of the flours and salt to taste, if desired. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding additional flour if dough remains too sticky. Knead for at elast 5 minutes. Cover dough and allow to rest while you prepare filling.
2. Preheat oven to 500 deg F. Lightly oil tow cookie sheets with olive oil. Arrange eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, and onion slices on cookie sheet. Combine rfeamining olive oil with crushed garlic and brush sliced vegetables well. Place in oven and grill for 5 minutes.
3. While vegetables are grilling, flour work surface and roll dough into a large, thin sixteen-inch round to be baked on a pizza pan, or for a change of pace, roll dough into a thin rectangle to fit a cookie sheet. Brush cookie sheet or pan lightly with olive oil and dust with corn meal. Tansfer dough to baking pan.
4. Remove grilled vegetables from oven. Brush crust generously with pesto. Layer vegetables on pesto, beginning with eggplant slices, topping with zucchini, and then adding mushrooms and onion rings. Top with sun dried tomatoes. Add slices of fresh tomato.
Sprinkle with chopped olives, fresh or dry basil and oregano.
5. Place pizza on bottom rack of 500 deg F oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven and cut into slices or squares.
American Vegetarian Cookbook by Marilyn Diamond/MM by Dianne Smith/DEEANNE