Yield: 16 servings
|½ teaspoon||Cloves, ground|
|½ teaspoon||Nutmeg, ground|
|1 teaspoon||Baking soda|
|1 teaspoon||Baking powder|
|½ cup||Chopped walnuts|
|1 pounds||Holiday fruit|
1. In a medium sized saucepan, combine the sugar, raisins and water, and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. (Note, you may substitute ¾ cup light brown sugar and ¾ cup granulated sugar; you may also substitute 1 cup of water and ⅓ cup light rum).
2. Meanwhile, while the raisin mixture is boiling, add ¼ cup short- ening.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, spices, soda and powder. Mix well, and add the holiday fruit and nuts.
4. In a small bowl, beat the eggs well. When the raisin mixture has boiled for 5 minutes, QUICKLY add the egg mixture to the raisin mixture and then QUICKLY add all to the flour mixture and blend well.
5. Pour into a lightly greased tube pan and bake at 300F for 1½ hours.
6. Cool completely.
Source: Linda Fields, Cyberealm BBS Watertown NY Typed for you by: Linda Fields, Cyberealm BBS, Watertown, NY 1993 315-785-8098 or 315-786-1120