Yield: 10 Servings
|1 tablespoon||Quick cooking tapioca|
|⅓ cup||Granulated sugar|
|\N \N||Juice of 1 lemon|
|\N \N||Pastry for 9-inch pie crust|
|3 tablespoons||All purpose flour|
|2 tablespoons||Brown or granulated sugar|
|¼ cup||Shredded or flaked coconut|
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut strawberries into ¼-inch-thick slices and place in a large bowl with remaining filling ingredients.
Stir well to evenly distribute tapioca and sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow tapioca to soften a little.
2. Meanwhile, roll out pastry and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim and finish edge as you like. Do not prick. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Prepare topping by measuring flour and sugar into a small bowl.
Stir with a fork until well blended. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until it is the size of small peas. Gently stir in coconut. Set aside.
4. When fruit filling has sat for 10 minutes, turn into unbaked pie shell. Bake on bottom rack of preheated 400 F oven for 30 minutes or just until filling starts to bubble and edges of pastry are a light golden color. Then sprinkle topping over centre portion of pie, leaving a 2-inch border of fruit showing around edge. Reduce heat to 350F. Bake for another 15 to 18 minutes or until topping is golden.
5. When baked, transfer pie to a rack to cool for about 15 minutes.
Serve pie warm of at room temperature.
Per Serving: 181 calories, 1⅘ g protein, 8 g fat, 26.9 g carbohydrates, ⅘ mg iron, 12 mg calcium.