Yield: 8 servings
|-CYGNUS, HCPM52C DIRECTIONS, PART 1:|
1. Heat oven to 300 degrees; Generously grease 1-½ qt. glass casserole with shortening, using pastry brush. Sprinkle a little flour into the casserole and shake gently from side to side until the flour coats the bottom and sides. Empty out remaining flour.
2. Prepare the cake mix as directed on package execpt--after mixing pour the batter into the greased and floured casserole.
3. Bake in 300-degree oven 1 hour and 5 to 10 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool the cake on rack 10 minutes then remove from the casserole to plate. Place the cake rounded side up.
4. While the cake is cooling, sprinkle sesame seeds on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in 300-degree oven about 5 minutes or until golden. (You'll use the seeds later to sprinkle over yoru cake.) 5.
Fill baking pan about ½ of the way to the top with cold water and ice cubes. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Stir in brown sugar. Cook over low heat 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in milk . Heat to rolling boil, stirring constantly.
6. Remove from heat and set the saucepan in the pan of cold water and ice. When you can comfortably hold your hand on the bottom of the saucepan, gradually stair in powdered sugar.
7. Place the saucepan back in the pan of ice water and beat the sugar mixture until it becomes thick enough to spread. If the frosting is too thin, sugar; If it is too thick, add a few drops of hot water.
8. After the cake is cool, you are going to cut into 3 parts--1 for the top of the bun, 1 for the hamburger, and one for the bottom of the bun. To do this, mark the cake for easier cutting by sticking wooden stick in the cake to guide your knife. Place 1 row of wooden picks (about 2" apart) 1 inch from the bottom of the cake and another row 2 inches from the bottom.
9. Using the wooden picks as the gude, slice off the top of the cake with serrated knife. This is easier if your eyes are at the same level as the cake. So bend down or put the cake ona high counter.
Lift off the top and set aside. Cut off the next layer and set aside.
10. Frost the bottom layer with spatula.
Source: Betty Crocker's CookBook for Boys & Girls