Yield: 4 servings
|½ pounds||Bacon,cut into 3" strips|
|6 cups||Cabbage,fine shredded(1.5lb)|
|1 cup||Swiss cheese,shredded|
1. Steam potatoes in 1 inch boiling water 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender.
2. Slice potatoes, unpeeled, into ½-slices; set aside.
3. Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; set aside.
4. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat; saute onion in same skillet until golden.
5. Stir in flour, thyme and salt.
6. Gradually add beer and milk; stir, over low heat, until mixture boils and thickens.
7. In 3-quart casserole, layer half the cabbage, potatoes, bacon, cheese and sauce; repeat with remaining ingredients.
8. Cover and bake in preheated 375'F. oven 30 minutes.
9. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer, or until cabbage is tender.