Yield: 32 pastries
|1 cup||(2 sticks) unsalted butter,|
|1 pack||(8-oz) cream cheese, softened|
|¼ cup||Granulated sugar|
|1 cup||Poppy seeds|
|⅓ cup||Granulated sugar|
|2 tablespoons||Unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 large||Egg yolk|
|2½ cup||To 3 C unsifted all-purpose flour|
|½ teaspoon||Baking powder|
|1 teaspoon||Ground cinnamon|
|1||1-oz square semisweet chocolate|
|1 teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
|Coarse sugar crystals or crushed sugar cubes (opt.)|
1. Prepare Pastry Dough: In large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, cream cheese, and granulated sugar until well mixed. Add egg yolk and beat well. Reduce mixer speed to low.
Gradually beat in 2½ C flour and the baking powder until smooth dough forms. Beat in enough of remaining ½ C flour until dough is no longer very sticky. Cover and refrigerate pastry dough at least 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, prepare Filling: In 1-quart saucepan, combine poppy seeds, milk, granulated sugar, butter, cocoa, and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened-about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Set aside to coot to room temperature.
3. Prepare Egg Glaze: In cup, beat egg and water until well mixed.
4. Heat oven to 350'F. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper. On floured surface, roll pastry dough to ⅛-inch thickness. With fluted pastry wheel or knife, cut dough into 3-inch squares. Reroll trimmings and cut out more squares.
5. Place about 2 t filling in center of each square. Brush pastry dough around filling with some glaze. Bring 2 opposite corners of square over filling in center, overlapping the corners, and press gently to seal. Place pastries, 1 inch apart, on lined baking sheets and brush with some glaze. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
6. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool pastries on wire rack.
Store in airtight container.
Country Living/November/1994 Scanned & edited by Di Pahl & <gg>