Yield: 6 servings
|1 pounds||Lean ground beef|
|3 pounds||Zucchini or summer squash, chopped|
|2 cups||Cottage cheese|
|1 clove||Garlic, minced|
|1 can||4 oz chopped green chiles|
|1 medium||Onion, finely chopped|
|1 cup||Shredded cheddar cheese|
|2 teaspoons||Chopped parsley|
|2 tablespoons||Grated Parmesan cheese|
1. For the First layer: Put ground beef, salt, pepper and garlic in a skillet over moderate heat. Stir mixture with a wooden spoon, break- ing up into large chunks of meat as it cooks. Cook until well done.
Drain fat, and spoon mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish.
2. For the Second Layer: Put water and 1 tsp. salt in a 3 quart sauce- pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, and add squash. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until very tender. Pour into a colander, drain well.
3. Transfer squash back to the saucepan and mash with potato masher or electric mixer until squash is well broken up. Add green chiles, onion and butter. Mash until thoroughly combined. Spread over beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Preheat oven to 350F.
4. For the Third Layer: Put eggs into a medium sized bowl; beat with a wire whisk or portable mixer until light. Fold in cottage cheese and parsley. Spoon over squash layer in the casserole.
5. Sprinkle casserole with Parmesan cheese (you might even add a little more cheddar if desired), and place on the center rack of the oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until casserole is thoroughly heated and top layer is set. Serve immediately.
Source: McCall's Cooking School Typed for you by: Linda Fields, Cyberealm BBS, Watertown NY