Yield: 4 Servings
|1 slice||Fresh ginger root|
|2 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
|1 cup||Mixed nutmeats|
|3 tablespoons||Smoked ham|
|Oil for deep-frying|
1. Shell oysters. Mince ginger root; then combine with soy sauce and sherry. Add to oysters and let stand 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
Drain, discarding marinade.
2. Meanwhile crush nutmeats almost to a powder. Cut each bacon strip crosswise in 4 sections. Sliver smoked ham. Cut scallion stalks in ½-inch sections.
3. Dip each oyster in crushed nutmeats; then top with a few ham slivers and a piece of scallion. Wrap oysters in bacon sections.
4. Beat egg lightly and blend to a batter with flour, salt and pepper. Dip wrapped oysters in batter to coat.
5. Meanwhile heat oil. Add oysters, a few at a time, and deep-fry until crisp and golden. Drain on paper toweling.
6. Arrange on a bed of shredded lettuce. Garnish with lemon wedges and Chinese parsley. VARIATION: For the smoked ham, substitute Chinese sausage.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .