Yield: 6 Servings
|2 cups||Jasmine rice|
|¼ cup||Diced red onion|
|1½ teaspoon||Fresh ginger root, minced|
|1 teaspoon||Fresh garlic, minced|
|1½ teaspoon||Fresh lemongrass, finely minced|
|1 \N||Kaffir lime leaf, fresh or frozen|
|2 tablespoons||Carrot, very finely minced|
|2 tablespoons||Red pepper, very finely minced|
|3 tablespoons||Green onion, very finely minced|
1. To cook in a rice cooker: Rinse the rice in a strainer until the water runs clear. Drain well, then place it in the rice cooker with all the remaining rice ingredients. Stir well, cover and steam until tender, per manufacturer's directions.
2. After rice is cooked, fluff with a fork, then gently fold in the confetti ingredients.
3. To cook without a rice cooker: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse the rice in a strainer until the water runs clear. Shake rice and drain well.
4. Place rice in a large, ovenproof saucepan with remaining rice ingredients. Place pan over high heat and bring to a boil, stir. Quickly cover pan with a piece of foil and a tight-fitting lid.
5. Place in a preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes. After rice is cooked, immediately remove the lid and foil. Fluff with a fork, then gently fold in the confetti ingredients. Serve immediately.
Chef's Notes: *Fresh lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves can be found at Southeast Asian grocers. If purchasing a package of fresh lime leaves, use what you need and store the rest in the freezer.
*This dish is a nice fat-free and vegetarian accompaniment to simply steamed vegetables, or grilled fish or chicken.
*Leftover jasmine rice makes a great fried rice. Simply dice up some veggies and maybe a little leftover meat or chicken. Quickly sauté them in a frying pan or wok with the leftover rice, then stir in some bamboo shoots and bean sprouts if desired. Whisk a little soy sauce with an egg or two and stir-fry into the rice, cooking just until the egg coats the rice and is cooked through and the rice is hot.
Copyright 1997 by Kathy Casey MC formatted 3/12/97 by MsRooby@...
Recipe by: Seattle Times ⅗/97 Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #512 by "Rooby" <MsRooby@...> on Mar 12, 1997