Yield: 32 servings
|\N \N||-Nancy Speicher DPXX20A|
|1 cup||Granulated sugar|
|½ cup||Light-brown sugar; packed|
|½ cup||Light corn syrup|
|½ cup||Heavy cream|
|¼ cup||Butter or margarine|
|2 teaspoons||Vanilla extract|
|1½ cup||Chopped pecans; coarsely chopped (6 oz can)|
|½ \N||Bar German sweet chocolate (4 oz size)|
|\N \N||Walnut halves; optional|
1. Line a 9x5x3" loaf pan with foil. Lightly butter foil.
2. In a heavy, 2½-qt saucepan, combined granulated & brown sugars, corn syrup, cream, milk & butter.
3. Cook, stirring with wooden spoon, over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
4. Over medium heat, cook, stirring occasionally, to 240 to 245F on candy thermometer, or until a little in cold water forms a firm ball, like caramel. Do not overcook.
5. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and nuts. Turn into prepared pan; let cool.
6. Melt chocolate in double-boiler top, over hot, not boiling, water.
Spread over mixture. Refrigerate to allow the chocolate to harden.
With warm knife, cut into 32 pieces (4 x 8). If desire, decorate each piece with a walnut half.
From McCalls Cookery No. 13.