Yield: 8 Servings
|1||Chicken (approx. 1.5kg)|
|500 grams||Pork (cubed)|
|1 cup||Tomato puree or sauce|
|¼ cup||Grated fresh coconut|
|¼ teaspoon||Cayenne pepper|
|1 kilograms||Sweet potatoes|
|2||Bananas (peeled & sliced 2cm thick)|
|¼ cup||Shallots (sliced)|
1. Disjoint chicken, cut into serving portions. Fry the onion in oil until lightly tinted, remove from pan. Add chicken pieces, skin side down, and brown all over, moving the pieces around in pan frequently.
2. Pour off any oil left in pan, akk the pork pieces, then stir in the water, puree or sauce, coconut, salt, cayenne pepper and thyme.
3. Tie the cloves and bay leaf in a piece of muslin and add to saucepan. Bring to boiling point, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, peel potatoes, cut into 1cm (12in) slices. Add to pan, pushing them down into the liquid. Simmer for 35 - 40 minutes more, or until chicken and pork are tender.
5. Remove the muslin bag, stir in bananas and the shallots, cover and simmer another 5-7 minutes.
Turn into a serving bowl and, if you wish, garnish with coconut and snipped green part of shallots.