Yield: 4 Servings
|1 small||Onion; minced|
|4 cups||Smoked Turkey Stock|
|2 tablespoons||Sweet (cream) sherry|
|½ teaspoon||Sage, dried|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|1 dash||Cayenne pepper|
|1 cup||Mild Cheddar cheese; grated|
1. In a medium saucepan saute the onion and carrot in the butter over moderate heat until the onion wilts and just begins to turn golden.
2. Stir in the paprika and mix well. Add the flour and mix well to form a roux. Cook, stirring, until the roux turns a light golden color.
3. Add the stock, sherry, and seasonings and whisk to blend well.
Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is slightly thickened and smooth. Simmer a few more minutes.
4. Stir in the cream and bring just to a simmer.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until blended and smooth.
Serve hot. Garnish with herbed croutons or dry stuffing mix, if desired.
Source: "Blue Corn and Chocolate" by Elisabeth Rozin