Pork roast barbeque

Yield: 1 Servings

Measure Ingredient


I am becoming convinced that *simple* is better. I am on a quest to develop bbq techniques that use a handful of ingredients to deliver the bbq taste we all crave. To that end, here is the rub and baste I used today: (BTW, the bbq drew raves by my most severe critics...my family.) :-)

BBQ Pork Roast

Prep: Wash roast and pat dry. Rub a thin layer of prepared table mustard over the entire surface. Then sprinkle on this rub (makes enough for a four pound roast): 1 Tbl Lawry's Garlic Salt - Coarse Ground with Parsley 1 Tbl Cracked black pepper 1 Tbl Paprika 2 tsp Celery salt Mix well and "rub" it in to the meat if you want. I just "press" it into the meat here-and-there with my fingers. Let the roast stand for at room temp for about an hour (if you want to dry marinate it longer, be sure to refrigerate the meat, then bring it to room temp before cooking.)

I cooked this on a Weber kettle using both charcoal briquets and hickory chunks. I filled my chimney starter about ⅔ full of Kingsford briquets and topped it off with a couple of baseball size chunks of hickory. When the hickory started to really blaze, I dumped the fuel into the Weber and moved it all to one side. I put a pan with water opposite the coals, replaced the cooking grid, and put the roast over the pan of water. The bottom vents were ¾ closed and the top vent fully open. After 30 minutes I rotated the roast 180 degrees and spray-basted it with this mixture: 12 oz. Apple juice 2 tsp Lemon juice I continued to rotate and baste the roast every 30 minutes for three hours, adding a couple of water-soaked hickory chunks to keep the smoke flowing. At the three hour mark I added another ⅔ chimney starter full of blazing briquets and hickory chunks.

Right about that time, my wife called (from her mother's house) and said, "Supper better be ready when I get home." Since she would be be home in an hour, I figured I better check the temp of the roast. I *almost* panicked when the thermometer read 140 degrees, but I got a grip and let my imagnation and common sense kick in. I removed the roast and cooking grid, put the water pan in the middle of the cooking grate, and made two piles of coals on either side of the pan.

Then I put the roast over the water pan and cranked the bottom vents all the way open. Every ten minutes from then on, I turned the roast and sprayed it liberally with the baste.

When the boss got home, the roast was done. It was juicy and tender, it tasted like bbq, and I didn't get clobbered with a rolling pin....Life is good.

Recipe By : Craig Edmundson

Similar recipes