Yield: 8 servings
|1½ teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
|1½ teaspoon||Lemon zest|
|1½ teaspoon||Orange zest|
|¼ cup||Raisins or dried currants|
|1 cup||Long grain rice; cooked|
|Cinnamon & nutmeg to taste|
|Heavy cream as garnish|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease the insides of an 8-inch-square glass or ceramic baking dish with about 1 tsp. unsalted butter.
3. Beat eggs into milk and strain through sieve into mixing bowl.
Stir in all the remaining ingredients except cinnamon or nutmeg and cream. Pour into buttered baking dish and smooth top until level.
4. Place baking dish in slightly larger baking pan. Pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Stir pudding gently so that rice and raisins are distributed evenly throughout. Continue baking for 30 minutes, then stir again.
5. Carefully smooth top of pudding until level, then sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Continue baking for 20 minutes or until pudding is set, adding more boiling water to baking pan if needed to maintain level. Lift pudding from water bath and cool at room temperature. Serve slightly warm or well chilled. Sweet cream can be poured over individual protions arranged in saucers.
Nutritional Information: per serving: 247 calories, 10g pro, 5g fat, 39g carbo, 124mg chol, 222mg sod ** New Woman -- October 1995 ** Posted by The WEE Scot -- paul macGregor Submitted By PAUL MACGREGOR On 11-07-95