Yield: 4 Servings
1. Peel bananas; cut either in half lengthwise, or in quarters.
2. Heat oil and, over low heat, pan-fry bananas until lightly browned.
3. Meanwhile, combine sugar, water and vinegar in a saucepan. Bring slowly to a boil, stirring, until mixture spins a thread when a small amount is dropped into cold water.
4. Dip bananas in hot syrup to coat and place on an oiled platter; then dip in ice water to crystallize. (See steps 5 and 6 in recipe "Honeyed Apples".)
NOTE: These are also called Bananas in Silk Thread. VARIATIONS: 1. In step 2, add to the oil 1 teaspoon sugar.
2. In step 3, substitute the following syrup ingredients: ⅔ cup brown sugar, ⅔ cup vinegar, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 slice fresh ginger root, minced. Then slowly bring to a boil, stirring, and cook 2 minutes. Pour syrup over the bananas in their pan; cook 2 minutes more over low heat. Then dip coated bananas in ice water.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .