Yield: 8 Servings
|3 pounds||Red potatoes; scrubbed|
|2||Cloves garlic; peeled and halved|
|1 small||Onion; peeled|
|1 teaspoon||Dry mustard|
|¼ teaspoon||Cayenne pepper|
|¼ teaspoon||Freshly ground pepper|
|3 cups||1% low-fat milk|
|1⅓ cup||Sharp cheddar cheese|
|½ cup||Dry breadcrumbs|
|2 teaspoons||Olive oil|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, lightly spray a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
2. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with salted cold water.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and cook covered until barely tender 10-12 minutes. Drain cool and slip off skins.
3. Using a food processor or large holed grater, coarsely grate potatoes; set aside.
4. In a food processor combine garlic, onion, flour, 1½ tsp salt, mustard, cayenne and ¼ tsp black pepper, pulse until finely chopped.
5. Add ½ cup milk to food processor and process until smooth. Scrape into a medium saucepan; add remaining milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat; stirring constantly.
6. Simmer, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
7. In a large bowl combine potatoes and cheese mixture. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
8. In a small bowl, combine remaining cheese, breadcrumbs and oil. Season with salt and pepper and mix with your fingers.
9. Sprinkle crumb mixture over potatoes, cover pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 20 minutes more or until browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving: 315 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fibre, 12 grams protein, 620 mg sodium, 24 mg cholesterol Formatted and Busted by RecipeLu <recipelu@...> Recipe by: Eating Well Magazine - March 1998 Posted to recipelu-digest by RecipeLu <recipelu@...> on Mar 22, 1998