Yield: 1 servings
|2 \N||Beaver tails|
|¼ cup||Sherry or cooking wine|
|1 teaspoon||Dry mustard|
|1 tablespoon||Worcestershire sauce|
1. Skin beaver tails, clean thoroughly and wash well in a solution of salt
water. Let soak overnight in cold water to cover, adding ½ cup vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt to water.
2. The next day, remove from the brine, wash, then cover with solution of
2 teasoons soda to 2 quarts water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain.
3. Dredge beaver tails in seasoned flour.
4. Melt butter in heavy fry pan and saute tails at low heat until tender.
5. Mix wine with mustard, sugar, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce.
6. Add to beaver tails and simmer gently for 10 minutes, basting frequently.
From "Northern Cookbook" edited by Eleanor A. Ellis, Indian Affairs and Northern Development, Ottawa 1973.
Submitted By BERT CHRISTENSEN On 10-05-95