Yield: 12 Servings
1 c frozen tart cherries
1⅛ c quick cooking rolled oats 1 c buttermilk
¾ c firmly packed brown sugar ½ c solid vegetable shortening 1 c all-purpose flour
1 ½ t baking powder
½ t salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut cherries in halves. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, combine oats and buttermilk; mix well. Let stand 1 hour.
4. In another mixing bowl, combine egg, brown sugar and shortening.
Add egg mixture to oats mixture. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds; scrape sides of bowl.
5. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to oats mixture; mix until ingredients are moistened. Fold in cherries with a spoon or rubber spatula.
6. Fill 12 greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake in a preheated 400 degree F. oven 15 to 20 minutes. *Note: 1 cup canned tart cherries, well drained and halved, or 1 cup chopped dried cherries may be substituted for 1 cup individually quick frozen tart cherries.