Yield: 8 -inch cake
|2 ounces||Unsweetened Chocolate|
|¼ cup||Salad Oil|
|½ cup||Hot, strong, Coffee|
|¼ cup||Whipping Cream|
|1 teaspoon||Baking Soda|
|½ teaspoon||White Wine Vinegar|
|1 cup||All-purpose Flour|
|1 cup||Chopped, Black Walnuts|
|5 ounces||Semi-sweet Baking Chocolate|
|4 teaspoons||Solid, Vegetable Shortening|
PREP. TIME: 10 min. OVEN TEMP: 350=F8F BAKE. TIME: 35 to 40 min. * * * * * CHOCOLATE GLAZE * * * * *
In the top of a double boiler over simmering (do not boil) water, stir 5 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate and 4 tsp. solid vegetable shortening until melted.
* * * * * * CAKE * * * * * * 1. In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stir chocolate, oil, salt and coffee until melted.
2. Pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl.
3. Add sugar, egg, cream, baking soda, vanilla, and vinegar. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
4. Add flour. Beat for 3 to 4 minutes. Occasionally scrape sides of bowl with a rubber spatula.
5. Stir in ½ cup of the walnuts.
6. Pour cake batter into prepared pan and set in lower third of oven.
7. Bake at 350=F8F for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake begins to pull from sides of pan.
8. Cool in pan on rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and set on rack over piece of waxed paper. 9. Slowly pour glaze over cake so it flows over top and sides in an even layer. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
* TIP: To prepare cake pan, line bottom of an 8-inch cake pan, with removable bottom, with waxed paper. Grease paper and pan sides lightly with solid vegetable shortening and dust with flour.
Recipe makes 1 8-inch cake that serves 8 to 10.
Nutritional Information: Calories:....351 Protein...⅗⅕ g Fat...¼⅕ g Sodium....151 mg
Source: Great American Recipe Cards Posted to MM-Recipes Digest V4 #254 by BobbieB1@... on Sep 23, 1997