Yield: 1 servings
|1 \N||Beaver, skinned and cleaned|
|1 medium||Onion, sliced|
|1 cup||Sour cream|
1. Soak beaver overnight in solution of ½ cup vinegar and 1 tablespoon
salt in cold water to cover.
2. The next day, remove the beaver from the brine, wash anc cover with solution of 2 teaspoons soda to 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse beaver and cut into serving pieces.
4. Dredge each piece of meat thoroughly in the seasoned flour.
5. Melt butter in a heavy fry pan and brown the pieces of meat.
6. Transfer meat to a greased casserole, slice onions over top, add water
and bake at 325 degrees F. until tender.
7. When meat is almost tender, add 1 cup sour cream to the casserole.
well and continue cooking until tender. Serves 4.
From "Northern Cooking" edited by Eleanor A. Ellis, Indian Affairs and Northern Development, Ottawa 1973.
Typos by Bert Christensen
Submitted By BERT CHRISTENSEN On 10-05-95