Yield: 4 Servings
|1 pounds||Lean beef|
|1 slice||Fresh ginger root|
|1 tablespoon||Soy sauce|
|1 teaspoon||Peanut oil|
1. Cut beef in ¼-inch slices. Mince scallion stalks.
2. Mince ginger. Combine with cornstarch, soy sauce, sherry, salt and sugar, mixing well. Add to beef slices and toss gently to coat. Let stand 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Arrange beef slices in shallow heatproof dish. With a circular motion, sprinkle oil and minced scallions over the top.
4. Steam on a rack until done (30 to 40 minutes). See "HOW-TO SECTION".
5. Mince Chinese parsley. Serve beef in its heatproof dish, with parsley sprinkled over. VARIATIONS:
In step 1, sliver the beef or cut in julienne strips and steam 25 to 30 minutes; or mince or grind the beef and steam about 15 minutes.
In step 3, top beef with any of the following: CLOUD EAR MUSHROOMS: 2 tablespoons cloud ear mushrooms and 1 piece tangerine peel, both soaked and slivered. (For the peanut oil, substitute a few drops of sesame oil.) DRIED BLACK MUSHROOMS: 4 dried black mushrooms (soaked), slivered; and either 8 to 10 Water chestnuts, sliced thin, or ½ cup pickles, shredded. PICKLED BAMBOO SHOOTS: ½ cup pickled bamboo shoots. (Cut beef in julienne strips.) PRESERVED GABBAGE: ½ to 1 Cup preserved cabbage, minced. SALTED GABBAGE: ½ cup dried salted cabbage (soaked), sliced thin. TEA MELON: 8 tea melons, washed and sliced. (You may also add ½ bundle preserved turnips, washed and chopped coarsely.) From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .