Yield: 6 servings
|½ cup||Swiss cheese -- or cheddar|
|2 tablespoons||Grated Parmesan cheese|
|½ cup||Bread crumbs|
|2 tablespoons||Margarine -- melted|
|1 cup||All-purpose flour|
|¼ teaspoon||Double-acting baking powder|
|1⅓ cup||Margarine -- melted|
|3 cups||Zucchini -- sliced|
|½ cup||Boiling water|
|2 larges||Eggs -- separated|
|1½ cup||Sour cream|
|2 tablespoons||All-purpose flour|
|⅛ teaspoon||Black pepper|
|¼ teaspoon||Cream of tartar|
1. Combine cheeses; reserve ¼ cup. Combine remaining cheeses with bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons melted margarine. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in mixing bowl. Cut in ⅓ cup margarine and reserved ¼ cup cheeses until mixture is size of small peas. Sprinkle milk over flour mixture, stirring with fork until dough is moist enough to hold together.
3. Form into a ball then flatten to ½ inch thickness. Smooth the edges with your hands. Roll out on floured surface to a circle 1-½ inches larger than an inverted 9-inch pie plate. Fit into pan, fold edges under then flute. Chill while preparing filling.
4. Place half of zucchini in pastry-lined pan. Cover with half of sour cream mixture. Top with remaining zucchini then with remaining sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with cheese-breadcrumb mixture.
5. Bake in preheated 400-degree oven for 10 minutes. Lower heat to 325 and bake 40-50 minutes longer until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean.
FILLING: 1. Cook zucchini in water and 1 teaspoon salt in covered saucepan for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
2. Beat egg yolks slightly; add sour cream, 1 teaspoon salt, flour, chives and pepper.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry. Fold into sour cream mixture.
Recipe By : Jo Anne Merrill