Yield: 4 Servings
|1||Zucchini; 5 to 8-lb|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|1 large||Onion; finely chopped|
|1 pounds||Lean ground beef|
|½ cup||Canned tomato sauce|
|3 cups||Diced French bread|
|1 pack||(12-oz) Swiss chard; finely chopped|
|¼ cup||Freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus more to taste|
|¼ cup||Lightly packed parsley|
1. Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise; reserve on half for another use.
Scoop the soft, seedy center from the remaining half; discard. Score the flesh in 1 in. squares, cutting halfway through to the outer skin. Rub with 2 tbs. olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set aside.
2. To make the filling, heat 2 tbs. olive oil in a wide skillet. Add the onion and cook until soft, stirring. Add the meat, breaking it apart with a spoon, and cook over high heat until browned. Add the tomato sauce, thyme, and salt and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside. 3. Preheat oven to 325 F.
4. Cover the bread with water; drain. Using your hands, squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside.
5. Combine the meat sauce, bread, chard, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, eggs and parsley. Beat to blend. Mound the mixture into the zucchini half, patting firmly in place.
6. Place the zucchini in a baking pan & add ½ in. water. Bake uncovered 1-¼ hour in preheated oven.
7. Transfer the zucchini to a cutting board. Cut crosswise into serving portions. Serve with extra Parmesan cheese as topping. NOTE: The zucchini can be made ahead, covered and reheated in a 325 F oven 15 to 20 mins. The remaining half of the zucchini can be used raw in salads, as part of a crudite (raw vegetable) tray or in other recipes.
DEL MONDO RISTORANTE
NORTH FARWELL AVENUE, MILWAUKEE WINE: RUFFINO DUCALE GOLD
From the <Micro Cookbook Collection of Italian Recipes>. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .