Yield: 1 Servings
|1 \N||Free Flow Recipe|
This one uses walnuts for the meat surrogate... A. 1 cup oil B. 1 cup walnut halves C. ¼ cup glutinous rice flour D. ¼ cup flour E. 1 teaspoon baking powder F. dash salt G. 1 green pepper H. 1 red pepper I. 1 scallion, chopped J. 2 tablespoons vinegar K. 2 tablespoons sugar L. 2 tablespoons catsup M. 1 tablespoon light soy sauce N. ½ teaspoon salt O. 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with ¼ cup water PREPARATION:
I. Pour boiling water over B, let stand for 2 minutes; peel and dry completely on paper towel.
II. Mix C,D,E,F with 5 tablespoons water to make batter.
III. Wash G,H; discard stems and seeds; cut G,H into cubes.
1. Heat A to 325F; deep fry B for 15 to 30 seconds until golden brown; do not burn; drain on paper towel.
2. Dip fried B in C-F batter; then deep fry again in A until golden brown; drain on paper towel.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon A, add G,H,I, stir-fry for ½ minute, add salt to taste.
4. Mix J,K,L,M,N,O in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until thickened.
5. Add B and G-I, stir well and serve.
From "An Encyclopedia of Chinese Food and Cooking" by Wonona W. and Irving B. Chang, Helen W. and Austin H. Kutscher. Crown Publishers, Inc. New York. MCMLXX
Posted by Stephen Ceideburg.