Yield: 5 Servings
|1 pounds||Ground turkey|
|2 slices||Low-fat bread; chopped|
|2 tablespoons||Grated onion|
|1 large||Egg white|
|1½ teaspoon||Ground cumin|
|5 \N||Whole-wheat pitas|
|½ large||Cucumber; peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces|
|8 ounces||Plain nonfat yogurt|
|2 tablespoons||Chopped fresh cilantro OR 1-teaspoon dried mint leaves|
|4 cups||Romaine lettuce; thinly sliced|
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 15½" by 10 ½" jelly-roll pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, with hand, mix ground turkey, bread, onion, egg white, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt, and 3 tablespoons water.
3. Shape turkey mixture into 25 meatballs. (For easier shaping, use wet hands.) Place meatballs in jelly-roll pan and bake 12 to 15 minutes until cooked through (meatballs will not brown).
4. Cut about 1 inch from top of each pita; reserve cutoff pieces for use another day. Wrap pitas in foil. After meatballs have baked 5 minutes, warm pitas in oven until meatballs are done.
5. Meanwhile, mix cucumber, yogurt, cilantro or mint, and ½ teaspoon salt.
6. To serve, fill pitas with lettuce and meatballs; top with cucumber sauce.
Each serving: About 380 calories, 28 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 11 g total fat (3 g saturated), 46 mg cholesterol, 1020 mg sodium.
Copyright © 1995 The Hearst Corporation; all rights reserved Notes: Work Time: 15 minutes; Total Time: 27 to 30 minutes.
Buster for McRecipe by Pat Hanneman (kitpath) feb98 Recipe by: Homearts Recipe Archive Posted to MC-Recipe Digest by KitPATh <phannema@...> on Feb 26, 1998