Yield: 4 Servings
|6||Dried black mushrooms|
|1||(2-1/2 pound) chicken|
|2 tablespoons||Soy sauce|
|3 slices||Fresh ginger root|
1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. With a cleaver, chop chicken, bones and all, in 1-½- to 2-inch sections. Blend cornstarch and soy sauce to a paste and rub over chicken to coat. Place in a heatproof dish.
3. Mince scallion stalks and ginger root; slice soaked mushrooms. Arrange over chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Steam until done (about 30 minutes). See "How-to Section". VARIATIONS: 1. Bone and cube the chicken; then steam only 10 to 15 minutes in step 4.
2. In step 2, add to cornstarch paste 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon peanut oil and 2 teaspoons sherry.
3. In step 3, add ½ cup bamboo shoots and 8 water chestnuts, both sliced.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .