Yield: 4 Servings
|1 \N||Chicken breast|
|1 can||(4-oz) button mushrooms|
|¼ cup||Mushroom liquid|
|1 \N||Clove garlic|
|3 slices||Fresh ginger root|
1. Skin and bone chicken; then dice. Combine cornstarch, salt and pepper; dredge chicken in mixture to coat.
2. Drain canned button mushrooms. Blend liquid from canned mushrooms and remaining cornstarch to a paste.
3. Mince garlic and ginger root.
4. Heat oil. Add garlic and ginger; stir-fry a few times. Add chicken and stir-fry until it begins to brown (2 to 3 minutes).
5. Add mushrooms; stir-fry only to heat through. Then stir in cornstarch paste to thicken. Serve at once.
NOTE: This is known as Moo Goo Gai Pan. VARIATIONS: 1. In step 1, add to the dredging mixture either 1 teaspoon sherry or 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon oil. (In either case omit the pepper.) After tossing the chicken gently in the mixture to coat, let stand 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
2. At the end of step 4, remove the chicken from pan. Heat 2 more tablespoons oil; then add 1 green pepper, diced, and stir-fry until slightly softened (about 2 minutes). Add the mushrooms as in step 5. Return the chicken before stirring in the cornstarch paste.
3. At the end of step 5, garnish with either 2 tablespoons smoked ham, minced; or ¼ cup almond meats, blanched and toasted.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .