Yield: 4 Servings
|\N 2||whole star anise (or tsp|
14½ lb ducking (fresh or frozen) 2 md red onions -- cut in half
2 md yellow onions -- cut in
¼ c soy sauce
2 TB dry sherry
1 TB ginger root -- grated
1 ts sugar
20 oz Brussel sprouts
1. Remove giblets and neck from duckling; refrigerate to use in soup another day. Cut duckling into quarters; trim excess skin and fat.
Rinse duckling with running cold water; patdry with paper towels.
2. In 8-quart Dutch oven over high heat, brown duckling pieces; remove pieces to large bowl as they brown. Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from Dutch oven. 3. In fat in Dutch oven, cook onion halves until golden brown. Remove onions to bowl with duckling.
4. Into same Dutch oven, stir soy sauce, sherry, gingerroot, sugar, star anise, and ¾ cup water. Over high heat, heat to boiling, stirring to loosen any brown bits from bottom of Dutch oven.
5. Return duckling pieces and onions to Dutch oven. Cover Dutch oven and bake in 350 degrees F. oven 1 ¼ hours. Meanwhile, trim ends from Brussels sprouts. Cut Brussels sprouts in half if they are large. Stir Brussels sprouts into liquid in Dutch oven. Cover Dutch oven and bake 45 minutes longer or until duckling and vegetables are tender, basting duckling and vegetables with liquid in Dutch oven several times during baking.
6. To serve, skim fat from liquid in Dutch oven.
Recipe By : Good Housekeeping From: Mastercook Mac Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:49:36 0000