Yield: 5 Pints**
|18 \N||Medium-size tomatoes|
|3 larges||Sweet red peppers|
|1 tablespoon||Celery seed|
|1 \N||Tablesppon mustard seed|
|¼ cup||Finely chopped preserved ginger|
|3 tablespoons||Mixed pickling spice|
1. Wash five preserving jars in hot soapy water; rinse. Cover with hot water until ready to fill. Cover two-piece jar lids with very hot water in a separate pan.
2. Wash and core tomatoes; cut into eighths. Put tomatoes, onions, and red peppers through coarse blade of food grinder.
3. Combine ground vegetables with sugar and salt in large kettle. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in vinegar, celery seed, mustard seed and ginger. Tie pickling spices in cheesecloth; push down into vegetables. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 40 minutes. Remove pickling spice bag.
5. Ladle into hot jars; fill to within ½-inch of top. Wipe rims; seal jars.
6. Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath; cool; label. Store in cool dry place. Posted to EAT-L Digest 11 Mar 97 by "Elizabeth A. Post" <millefiore@...> on Mar 11, 1997