Yield: 2 Loaves
|2 tablespoons||Olive oil|
|2||Red onions; finely chopped|
|1½ teaspoon||Dried sage|
|1½ teaspoon||Black pepper; coarse ground|
|1½ cup||Lukewarm water|
|2 packs||Dry yeast|
|2 teaspoons||Olive oil|
|1 tablespoon||Black pepper; coarse ground|
|1 tablespoon||Coarse salt|
|1½ teaspoon||Dried rosemary|
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil over med-low. Add onions, sage and 1-½ tsp pepper, and cook until onions are soft (5-10 mins). Let cool.
2. Pour lukewarm water into bowl. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
Sprinkle yeast over top and let stand for 10 mins.
3. In large bowl, combine 4 cups flour and salt, then stir in cooled onion mixture. When yeast is foamy, stir vigorously with fork, then pour into flour mixture. Stir, then mix in remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, until dough is too stiff to stir (all flour may not be used). Turn onto floured surface and knead 10 mins.
4. Rotate dough in oiled bowl until coated. Cover with greased wax paper and damp cloth. Let stand in warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hr).
5. Punch down dough. Diveide and form into 2 loaves. Place on greased baking sheet and lightly brush loaves with 1tsp olive oil.
6. In small bowl, stir 1 tbsp pepper with coarse salt and rosemary.
Sprinkle over loaves. Let loaves rise, uncovered, for 30 mins.
7. Bake in centre of oven at 375F for 40-45 mins or until crust is golden.
Remove and cool on rack.
Per slice (?):
86 calories, 1.3g fat (14% CFF) 12 mg calcium, 2.3g protein
Contributor: Chatelaine, June 97 Preparation Time: 02:50 Posted to Digest eat-lf.v097.n294 by Cathleen <catht@...> on Nov 19, 1997