Yield: 6 Servings
|½ teaspoon||Baking soda|
|1 can||(8.5-oz) cream-style corn|
|2 larges||Eggs; separated|
|2 tablespoons||Vegetable oil|
|4 ounces||Coarsely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese|
|2 tablespoons||Finely chopped Jalapeno peppers|
|\N \N||Toppings: bottled salsa; sour cream; scallions and/or cilantro (optional)|
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Ligtly grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Mix cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Put corn, milk, egg yolks and oil into a medium-size bowl. Beat until well blended. Stir in cornmeal mixture.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into corn mixture.
4. Pour half the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and peppers. Top with remaining batter, smoothing with rubber spatula to cover evenly.
5. Bake 25-30 minutes until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Cool in pan on wire rack 3-5 minutes. Souffle will sink slightly. Cut in 12 pieces. Top as desired. Makes 6 servings, 247 calories each.
WOMAN'S DAY, 10/2/1990
From a collection of my mother's (Judy Hosey) recipe box which contained lots of her favorite recipes, clippings, etc. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .