Yield: 1 Servings
|4||Egg whites (1/2 cup) separate when cold and then allow to come to room temperature|
|1 tablespoon||Granulated sugar|
|½ teaspoon||Cream of tartar|
|2 teaspoons||Vanilla extract|
|6 ounces||(1 cup) chocolate chips (preferably mini-chips) Or-|
|1 cup||Chopped nuts -Or-|
|½ cup||Chopped nuts and 1/4 cup raisins -Or-|
|2 tablespoons||Instant coffee granules may be added to any of the above or just by itself|
Barbara Wasser's Kosher Passover Kitchen (Adapted from a recipe from, Buezzi Korn (Aunt Margaret Rosenfeld's sister) Cookie sheet lined with parchment paper 300o F. oven 1. In a medium bowl with an electric mixer beat egg whites until foamy.
2. Add cream of tartar and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
3. If using instant coffee granules, add now.
4. Continue beating, gradually adding sugar.
5. When batter forms stiff peaks, carefully fold in chocolate chips or alternatives.
6. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet.
7. Bake in a 300o F oven for 20 minutes.
8. Turn oven off, and leave meringues in the oven for at least an hour.
9. Carefully remove the cookies from the parchment--they crumble easily.
Hint: Eggs separate best when cold--eggs beat with more volume when at room temperature. Posted to JEWISH-FOOD digest V97 #116 by swass@...
(Barbara & Steve Wasser) on Apr 7, 1997