Yield: 1 Servings
|1 pounds||Ground beef|
|1 pounds||Hot pork sausage; ground|
|1 pounds||Smoked sausage; * see note|
|1 large||Onion; coarsely chopped|
|2 \N||Cloves garlic; minced (or more)|
|1 large||Bell pepper; cut in 3/4\" chunks|
|⅓ cup||Yellow corn meal|
|2 cans||Chopped tomatoes; (28oz. each)|
|2 cans||Kidney beans; (27oz. each)**|
|1 tablespoon||Ground oregano|
|3 tablespoons||Chili powder|
|1 teaspoon||Ground coriander|
|1½ teaspoon||Celery seed|
|⅛ teaspoon||Cayenne pepper; *** see note|
|1 tablespoon||Tabasco sauce; *** see note|
|2 \N||Dried serano chiles; *** see note (2-4)|
|⅛ teaspoon||Dried habanero peppers; (powdered) ***|
|⅛ cup||Red wine|
THE VEGGIE STUFF
* Cut this up into ½" chunks. I don't recommend using more than 1 Lb.
because it'll make it taste like spaghetti sauce! :-( ** Drain and reserve ½ of the liquid to mix with the corn meal *** These things just add the "Zing" and not much full bodied flavor. That is what the wine and other things do for it.
1. In a large pot, brown the beef, pork, onions and garlic over medium heat.
2. After the above is browned, add the bell pepper and the smoked sausage.
Cook for 5 to 10 more minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low (and drain most of the fat IF YOU ARE WATCHING THINGS!)
4. Blend in the tomatoes and spices and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
5. Stir in the drained beans. In a small bowl, mix the bean liquid with the corn meal until it's like pancake patter.
6. Mix the "batter" into the chili and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or MORE.
I simmer my batchs for about 2 hours, so use your judgement on this.
7. Sprinkle with Mozzarella or Gouda cheese and serve with sourdough bread.
Or, make a Chili sandwich with a good sourdough roll.
FOR THE BEST TASTE, FREEZE THE RESULT TO "CURE" THE MIX! THAW, HEAT AND SERVE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS RECIPE! IT IS VERY VERY HOT!:-) NOT FOR THE WEAK AT HEART! Busted by Christopher E. Eaves <cea260@...> Recipe by: Bryan Peterson (Bryanp@...) Posted to recipelu-digest by "Christopher E. Eaves" <cea260@...> on Mar 15, 1998