Yield: 6 Servings
|¼ pounds||Dried bird's nest|
|½ cup||White meat chicken|
|¼ cup||Smoked ham|
1. Soak bird's nest.
2. Separately shred chicken and smoked ham.
3. Place stock, salt, soaked bird's nest and chicken in a pan. Bring to a boil; then simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
4. Beat egg whites lightly and stir in until they set. Garnish with shredded ham and serve. VARIATIONS: 1. Use cooked instead of raw chicken. In step 3, bring the stock to a boil.
Add the soaked bird's nest and simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Add the chicken and ham only to heat through. Then add the salt and egg whites.
2. In the above variation, for the ham, substitute ½ cup fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped.
3. Omit the chicken and increase the number of egg whites to 6.
4. At the end of step 4, stir in a cornstarch paste made of 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 3 tablespoons cold water to thicken soup. Omit the egg whites.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .