Yield: 4 Servings
|1||Whole 2-pound bass or carp|
|2 slices||Fresh ginger root|
|1 teaspoon||Soy sauce|
|3 drops||Sesame oil; more or less|
|2||Sprigs Chinese parsley|
1. Have fish cleaned and left whole. Make three light gashes in each side. Dry thoroughly with paper toweling; dust lightly with cornstarch. Cut scallion stalk in 1-inch sections. Mince ginger root.
2. Heat oil. Add scallion and ginger and brown lightly. Remove and set aside. Heat remaining oil to smoking hot. Add fish and brown quickly on both sides.
3. Return scallion and ginger to pan with fish and add stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
4. Add sherry, vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Simmer,covered, 10 minutes more.
5. Meanwhile, chop Chinese parsley, and mince remaining scallions. Then arrange in a long, deep serving bowl, with fish on top. Pour soup over and serve.
VARIATION: In step 2, instead of pan-frying, deep-fry fish to light golden and drain on paper toweling.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, .