Yield: 6 Servings
|2 pounds||Sweet potatoes,|
|1 pounds||Carrots water|
|12 tablespoons||Butter salt and pepper|
|½ cup||Crme frache|
|½ teaspoon||Nutmeg; freshly ground|
|\N dash||Cayenne pepper; (optional)|
|\N \N||=The Silver Palate Cookbook=|
1. Scrub potatoes and cut a small, deep slit in the top of each.
Set on the center rack of a a preheated 375øF. oven and bake for about 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, peel and trim carrots and cut them into 1-inch lengths. Put them in a saucepan and add the water, sugar, 2 tbs. of the butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Set over medium heat, bring to a boil, and cook uncovered until water has evaporated and carrots begin to sizzle in the butter, about 30 minutes. The carrots should be tender. If not, add a little additional water and cook until carrots are done and all loquid has evaporated.
3. Scrape out the flesh of sweet potatoes and combine with carrots in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add remaining butter and the crme frache and process until very smooth.
4. Add nutmeg, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add cayenne, if desired, and process briefly to blend.
5. To reheat, transfer to an ovenproof serving dish and cover with foil. Heat in a preheated 350øF. oven for about 25 minutes, or until steaming hot.