Yield: 6 servings
|2 ounces||Dark raisins|
|¼ pounds||Prosciutto; finely chopped|
|⅓ cup||Fresh breadcrumbs|
|2 ounces||Pinoli nuts; pine nuts|
|⅓ cup||Minced parsley|
|3 ounces||Freshly grated parmesan cheese|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1½ pounds||Beef top round; (3 slices, 1/4in.|
|⅓ cup||Extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 small||Onion; chopped|
|½ cup||Dry red wine; or white wine|
|1 can||Italian peeled tomatoes; undrained, finely|
1. Soak the raisins in warm water to cover for 20 minutes. Drain and dry.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the raisins, prosciutto, the breadcrumbs, pinoli nuts, parsley, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and mix together well.
3. Cut the beef slices to form pieces approximately 4x3 inches. Pound with a meat pounder or heavy object until the slices are about ⅛ inch thick.
Divide the filling mixture evenly among the meat slices and spread to ¼ inch from the edges.
4. Roll the slices into a sausage shape and tuck the ends in. Secure with toothpicks or tie in both directions with kitchen string.
5. Put the olive oil, onion, and carrot into a heavy cooking pot large enough to hold the braciola in one layer. Cook gently until the onion is translucent.
6. Push to the side and add meat rolls. Turn up the heat and brown the meat on all sides. Keep the onions and carrots off to the side so as not to burn. Push the browned meat to the side and pour the wine into the pan.
Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
Boil 1 minute to reduce the wine. Reduce the heat, push the me at and vegetables to the center of the pan, and add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and put the cover on slightly askew.
7. Simmer gently 1 to 1½ hours, or until the meat releases easily when tested with a skewer and the sauce is slightly thickened. If the meat is tender but the sauce is watery, remove the meat and reduce the sauce.
8. Transfer the meat to a warm platter and remove the toothpicks or string.
Leave whole or slice into ¼-inch pieces. Spoon on the sauce and serve.
(Serves 6 to 8).
Copyright credit: 1990 by Nancy Verde Barr © 1996 Lifetime Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.
MC formatted using MC Buster by Barb at PK Converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.