Yield: 6 servings
|1 pounds||Sea scallops|
|¼ pounds||Snap peas or Chinese pea pods|
|2 \N||Large onions|
|1 \N||Large yellow or orange pepper|
|1 \N||Piece peeled gingerroot (2\" by 1\" by 1\")|
|\N \N||Salad oil|
|1 can||(16-oz) lychees, drained|
|2 tablespoons||Bottled oyster sauce|
|1 tablespoon||Dry sherry|
ABOUT 1 HOUR BEFORE SERVING:
1. Rinse scallops with running cold water to remove sand from crevices; pat dry with paper towels. Cut each scallop horizontally in half, if they are large. Cut each mushroom into quarters; remove stem and strings along both edges of each snap pea. Slice each onion into 6 wedges; cut yellow or orange pepper into strips. Cut gingerroot lengthwise into pa- per-thin slices; cut slices lengthwise into very thin strips.
2. In nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, in 1 T hot salad oil, cook onions until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add pepper strips, snap peas, and ¼ teaspoon salt; continue cooking until vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring frequently. Remove onion mixture to bowl.
3. In same skillet in 1 T additional hot salad oil, cook mushrooms, gingerroot strips, and ¼ t salt until mushrooms are tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Remove mushroom mixture to bowl with onion mixture.
4. In same skillet over medium-high heat, in 1 T additional hot salad oil, cook scallops and ¼ t salt until scallops are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Return vegetables to skillet; add drained lychees.
5. In cup, mix oyster sauce and sherry; pour oyster-sauce mixture into skillet with scallop mixture; heat through.
Makes 6 main-dish servings
Each serving: About 220 calories, 8 9 fat, 158 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium.
Good Housekeeping/May'94/scanned & fixed by DP & GG