Yield: 6 servings
|1 can||(16-oz) whole tomatoes|
|1 tablespoon||Vegetable oil|
|½ pounds||Andouille or other smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices|
|1 medium||Onion, cut into 12 pieces|
|1 large||Sweet green pepper, cut into 12 pieces|
|1½ cup||Long-grain white rice|
|½ teaspoon||Dried oregano leaves|
|¼ teaspoon||Dried thyme leaves|
|¼ teaspoon||Cracked black pepper|
|4||To 6 drops hot red-pepper sauce|
|1 pounds||Large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined|
|Cornmeal-Fried Okra (opt.; separate recipe)|
1. Drain tomatoes thoroughly, reserving liquid in 4-C measuring cup.
Cut each tomato into 8 pieces; place in strainer over same cup and set aside to drain.
2. In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil. Add sausage, onion, and green pepper; saute until lightly browned. Stir in rice; cook, stirring, until rice is coated with oil.
3. Add enough water to reserved tomato liquid to make 2-¾ C. Stir tomato liquid, salt, oregano, thyme, black pepper, and red-pepper sauce into rice mixture. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 15 minutes.
4. Add shrimp and reserved tomatoes; cook, covered, 5 to 8 minutes longer or until shrimp is cooked through, rice is tender, and all liquid has been absorbed.
5. Spoon pilau onto individual serving platters. Serve with Commeal-Fried Okra, if desired. Nutrition information per serving without Cornmeal- Fried Okra-protein: 28 grams; rat: 20 grams; carbohydrate: 44 grams; fiber: 2 grams; sodium: 1,335 milligrams; cholesterol: 160 milligrams; calories: 475.
Country Living/July/94 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG